Basic Procedures in Registering a New Business in the Philippines

Step 1: Business name registration at the DTI office

The first step in registering a business is to register its trade name. The trade name is a very important part of your business, this will be used in your transactions. Your trade name must be unique and it is important to register it under DTI so that it will not be used by another entity.

Without a DTI registration, you cannot proceed to the next step if you are a sole proprietor, but if your business is a partnership or corporation, you can skip this step. However, it is suggested that you register your business name under DTI so that your trade name will not be used by other people. (for partnership and corporations please proceed to step 2)

Business name guidelines:

• Must be related to the business and can easily be described the nature of business.

• Must be composed of letters and/or numbers, punctuation is also acceptable as long as it can be found in the English and Filipino language such as dash and question mark.

• Must not be composed of abbreviation of any country and government names

• Must not include misleading, illegal and offensive names

2 Ways to Register Your Business Name:

a. Online

You can easily check if our preferred business name is still available via their database. The first thing you need to do is to register through DTI’s Business Name Registration System’s website. You need to open an account on the website to be able
to register your business name. Aside from the application of your business name, you can also renew the expiring certificates and pay your fees there.

The first step is to fill our the application form on the website and then submit it. Check your email for the transaction reference number. You can now pay the fee via GCash or at the DTI office. The reservation of the business name is only valid up to 3 working days, if not paid then it will be forfeited.

b. You can walk-in to their regional office that is located in your area to register.

The first step is to fill up an application form. In case you are not available to do this, you can authorize your Attorney. After filling up the form, submit it to the DTI processor for assessing if the business name is still available. The last step is to pay the registration and processing fee, then you can now get the Business Name Certificate which is valid for 5 years.

Step 2: Registration at the Security and Exchange Commission

If you will register a sole proprietor business, you can skip this step. Otherwise, your business is required to register under the SEC. The SEC registration provides the business the license to operate. Without completing this step, you cannot secure a permit from the Mayor’s office and from the BIR.

First, you have to verify your preferred name in the Name Verification Unit at the SEC office. You can also check the availability via the SEC’s website.

The second thing to do is to prepare the following and secure it via the Company Registration and Monitoring Department.

• The Articles of Incorporation and By Laws

• The Treasurer’s Affidavit

You can make the draft of the Articles of Incorporation and By Laws or you can consult a corporate lawyer.

Third, you need to get the clearance and/or endorsements from the government agency/agencies if needed. The documents depend on your business industry.

Fourth, you need to get a bank certificate of the required deposit for the paid-up capital. This is also via the Company Registration and Monitoring Department in which you need to pay the filing fees but the documents must be complete.

Finally, you can claim your SEC certificate or license via the Releasing Unit, Records Division. You need to present the official filing receipt.

Step 3: Get the Barangay Clearance from your local Barangay Office

For a sole proprietorship, you need to present the Business Name Certificate from the DTI.

For partnership or corporation, in able to get the Barangay clearance you need to present the Certificate of Partnership or Incorporation for the SEC. Other requirements include the Land title and Tax Declaration for the location of the business if you owned the place or the contract of a lease if you are renting. For business inside a subdivision, condominium or village then you need to present a permit from your Homeowner’s Association.

The first thing to do is fill out the application form from the Barangay Hall and then submit it to the Barangay secretary along with other documents required by the Barangay. The assessment will usually take 30 minutes upon submission of the form.

After the assessment, you have to pay for the clearance to the Barangay cashier. Then you can wait for the releasing of your Barangay clearance, this will usually take at least 1 day.

Step 4: Getting the Mayor’s Permit

First, you need to fill up the application form and submit it along with other requirements to the Bureau of Permits. After this, you will be issued with a Business Identification Number. Other requirements are:

• Certificate from SEC and Articles of Partnerships- for partnership

• Certificate from SEC and Articles of Incorporation- for corporation

• Barangay Clearance


• Certificate from SSS

• Lease Contract or tax Declaration.

Second, Additional Requirements (depends on the nature of business) Second, you need to proceed to the License Division of the City Treasurer’s Office. This is where your Business Tax and Regulatory Fees assessed and then the office will issue the License and Regulatory Fees.

Third, you need to pay for the License and Regulatory Fees to the cashier. Upon payment, your License and Regulatory Fees Form will be validated, which will serve as your official receipt.

Fourth, you need to submit the official receipt to the Bureau of Permits’ office. Then you will get the Business Permit which was signed by the BP Director.

  • For single proprietorship, the first thing to do is to fill up the BIR Form 1901 and submit it along with other documents to the Revenue District Office. Other documents that you need to submit are Certificate from DTI, Mayor’s permit and valid identification which showing your name, current address and birthday.
  • For partnership and corporation, you also need to fill up the BIR Form 1903 and submit to the Revenue District Office along with other documents. Other documents are Certificate from SEC and Mayor’s permit.
  1. The next thing to do after submission of documents is the payment of the Annual Registration Fee to any authorized agent banks of the office. Then, you also need to pay for the Certification Fee and for the Documentary Stamp Tax.
  2. Upon payment you will be issued with the Certificate of Registration Form 2302.
  3. Fill up the BIR Form 1906 for the Invoice/Receipts authority to print. You will receive the “Ask for a Receipt” notice from the BIR. This will be posted in your business together with the BIR form 2302.
  4. Lastly, you need to register the book of accounts of your business and have them stamped.

Step 6: Registration at Social Security System

For single proprietorship, you need to fill up and submit the SSS Form R-1 or the Employer Registration and the R-1A or the Employment Report.

For a partnership, you need to submit the same two forms together with a photocopy of the Article of Partnership. Either you or your partner can do this. You must also present the original copy of the Article of Partnership.

For a corporation, you also need to submit the two forms, but the President must sign the forms. In case the President of the corporation is not available, any of the corporate officers can sign the forms. Along with these forms, you also need to submit a photocopy of the Articles of Incorporation but make sure to bring along the original copy.

Step 7: Registration at Philippine Health Insurance Corporation

The first thing to do is fill up the ER1 Form or the Employer Data Record and submit it along with the Business permit. There are also other documents that you need to submit. If you are a single proprietor, submit the Business Name Certificate from the DTI. If your business is in partnership or corporation, then you need to submit the SEC

After processing your application form and other documents, you will be issued with a Philhealth Employer Number and Certificate of Registration. The office will also issue the Philhealth Identification Number and the Member Data Record (for your registered employees under Philhealth).

Step 8: Pag-ibig Fund Registration

First, you need to fill up 2 copies of the Employer’s Data Form and submit it along with other documents such as SSS Certification and Proof of Business Existence. For a sole proprietor, you need to submit the Certificate from DTI and the Business Permit.

For partnership and corporation, you need to submit the Certificate from SEC and Business Permit. You will be issued with a Pag-ibig Employer ID number. You can also register through Pag-ibig’s website.

Step 9: Permit or Clearance from Other Government Agencies

If there are any additional requirements, you need to go to the agency involved depending on your business nature. Bring all the requirements upon applying for a permit or clearance from any of the agencies involved.

For businesses located in industrial estates and/or export-processing zones, you may inquire from the estate/ zone administrators.




  1. DTI Export Guidebook
  2. The Complete Guide to Business Registration in the Philippines , ADV Consultants

Published by Ramon H. Enriquez MIE&M, RME

Ramon "Mon" Hojas Enriquez is a retired business executive who now spends his available time sharing the wisdom that he gained from his graduate academic preparations and more than 35-years of hands-on industry practice here (Philippines) and abroad; as an Independent Management Consultant for various industrial-firms, and as a Professional Lecturer/ Resource Speaker of leading Higher-Ed/ Training institutions in Metro Manila. He now focuses on management consulting, education and training---for the proper management of Supply-chains, Strategy-execution, and Decision-support. His affiliations with relevant leading global industry associations keeps him informed and updated on the current and future developments in the above-mentioned fields of interests. They include, among others: The Association for Supply Chain Management (ASCM), Project Management Institute (PMI), Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), American Society for Quality (ASQ), Institute for Supply Management (ISM), System Dynamics Society (SDS), and Climate Interactive (CI)---and has been advocating Sustainable Development and Climate-action since 2000. Mon is a lifelong Systems Thinker and an avid micro-Blogger. His hobby includes Photography and the Graphics-arts, Singing, Guitar-playing, Songwriting; and Audio recording, mixing and mastering. When not traveling or visiting Clients, he normally spends his time at his QC-office cum studio or, at home with his Wife and dog.